Saturday, June 16, 2012

Our Favorite Potato Recipe



I got this from my best friend.  She just basically told me how she made it after I tried it at her house, but I loved it so much I made it at home.  I don't really have a name for it.  Her husband makes it and since he was raised near Hamburg, Germany she calls them German Potatoes.  There are only four ingredients which makes it fairly simple.  My kids love it.  It's hearty enough to be an entree, great for breakfast or brunch, although we usually have it as a side dish for dinner.  

You'll need a 1lb of bacon, sliced into 1/2" pieces; 1 medium onion, chopped; 5-6 medium potatoes cut into 1" pieces; and last but not least black pepper.  

In a large skillet fry the bacon over medium heat.  You don't need a lean bacon for this because you'll need the bacon grease to fry the potatoes, so just buy the cheap stuff.  If you use lean bacon, you may have to add some olive oil when you add the potatoes.  

Once the bacon has cooked long enough to release most of the grease add the onions and black pepper to taste (start with 1/4 teaspoon).  Continue cooking until onions soften and just start to become translucent.  

Next add the potatoes, stirring well to coat with the bacon grease.  Cover and cook until potatoes are soft stirring every 2-3 minutes.  Remove lid and cook until edges of potatoes start to get crispy.  Serve hot.  






































No comments:

Post a Comment